Thursday, June 26, 2008

NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi 30" widescreen

Manufacturer:NEC Display Solutions
UK Price (as reviewed):£1,526.33 (inc. VAT)
US Price (as reviewed):$1,999.99 (ex. Tax)

I have a confession to make – when I was still at University, I remember telling one of my fellow course mates that I didn't like big monitors. He'd got a big 22-inch Formac CRT based on Sony's FD Trinitron tube and I didn't see a benefit to such a big screen – I'd probably end up just hurting my back when I was moving across London into new student digs.

My, how wrong was I back then – ever since I first laid eyes on Apple's 30-inch Cinema Display down at the then relatively new Apple Store on Regent Street in summer 2005, I'd decided that I did want a big monitor after all. But it wasn't until after Dell had released the UltraSharp 3007WFP that I actually managed to score one – and then that wasn't enough because I wanted two of them on my desk. I'm a multi-monitor lover, after all.

Regardless, using a 30-inch monitor for general desktop work is an absolute joy and for the first time I felt that maybe I didn't need two monitors on my work machine – I could leave my 15 Firefox windows, umpteen MSN Messenger conversations and the various other applications I run on a daily basis open and still be able to work efficiently without losing things. My desk is cluttered, as is my Windows desktop – desk tidies have never been a solution and the only way to cure the problem is to have more space.



  • Micro-Star distributes notebooks with pre-loaded SUSE Linux Enterprise
  • TechTeam to establish service desk operations in Philippines
  • Samsung SyncMaster 2253LW 21.6″ LCD
  • ViewSonic VX1940w 19″ widescreen
  • 0 comments: